Well - it's time to get those oriole and hummingbird feeders all ready to go. Wautoma reported a hummingbird and orioles have been sighted in various locations in southern Wisconsin. I put my feeders out this morning. It may be a bit before I get any takers but I don't want to miss out on any of the show this spring. It's been a long, long winter!
Grosbeaks have been sighted at numerous feeding stations around Wausau and the first Indigo Bunting has been sighted this morning at a feeding station in Walworth County. Won't be long before we have these beauties at our feeders!
We have a pond on our property that we dug when we built the house seven years ago. We don't use chemicals to manage nor do we fertilize our lawn so that we don't affect the natural balance of the pond life and fauna. Spring is my favorite time to watch for migrants coming through and of course the resident mallards love to visit each morning. So far this year we had a pair of Common Mergansers, a Bufflehead, a pair of Wood ducks and this morning we had three pair of Blue-winged Teal!! They landed around 5:00 this morning before I could see them but that familiar peeping sound tipped me off. I checked at first light and sure enough!!
It was really cool to see the mallard next to them as it really highlights the size difference. Alone, the teals look mallard sized but put them next to the mallard and boy do they shrink!
If you would like to see what they look like, click here.
Happy birding everyone and let me know what you're seeing!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment