
I am often asked what my favorite bird is. My favorite bird is the one I'm looking at, photographing, talking about or learning about at any given moment. Every species has unique behaviors and qualities that I appreciate (yes even the pesky starlings and House Sparrows).
Today my favorite bird is the Cedar Waxwing. I've been waiting for them to visit my yard for years. I see them around the store daily now but no luck at home until........ last night!!
Birders tend to develop heightened senses of sight and sound. Any small movement or bird-like sound catches our attention. I took a walk past our pond last night and heard the familiar soft high-pitched, hissy whistle of waxwings. There they were perched in a willow bush only six feet away from me.
They are beautiful and voracious eaters of berries. Often where you see one waxwing, you can be sure there are more nearby. They LOVE pool parties so make sure you have at least one nice big birdbath with a dripper/mister.
To learn more about the Cedar Waxwing, click here.

No comments:
Post a Comment