Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Where Did All The Feeder Birds Go and Tundra Swans Sighted!

The activity at your feeders has like mine, significantly diminished over the last week or so. This is normal. The majority of the Pine Siskins and the Common Redpolls have returned to their breeding grounds in Canada. Sure will miss them! Don't worry though, soon to come are scads of American Goldfinches, Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, House Finches, Purple Finches and our favorite Indigo Bunting.

Dan Belter, president of the Wausau Bird Club stopped by D.C. Everest park and here's his bird sighting report: "As soon as I pulled into the parking lot I could see out on the lake ice, next to the open water, large "white" lumps packed in a group. I knew right away these were Tundra Swans and when I raised my binoculars, there they were, about 50 of them. Other new arrivals for me were; Canvasback (6) and Red-breasted Mergansers (2). Waterfowl variety is increasing, and will continue to do
so as the lake opens up more."

If you have time, grab your binocs - the spring show is underway!! If you have questions or are wondering where the park is, you can e-mail me at wbuwausau@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment